Greetings! I’m Kate Strassel, a freelance writer and editor as well as a contributing editor for edible South Shore magazine in Massachusetts. I enjoy and excel at writing about and editing a variety of fields such as education, entertainment, home and garden, cooking, family life, healthy eating and living, pets and travel. My specialized area of expertise is local food; in other words, writing and editing articles and manuscripts about local farmers, food producers, CSAs and CSFs, seasonal farmers’ markets and more. I am a strong supporter of local food movements and sustainable living. I invite you to visit the Writing Samples page to view excerpts of my work.
Whether you’re an owner of a small business, an online retailer, a student or an emerging writer, working with a freelance writer or editor can save you both time and money.
Writing (may be existing articles I have written or newly commissioned pieces)
- Magazine (both print and online) articles
- Marketing and web copy
- Press releases
- Short fiction
- Ghost writing
- Special assignments
- Proofreading – Using a light hand, I will correct any spelling, punctuation, and basic grammar issues, ensuring that your piece is clear and concise.
- Light copy edit – In addition to proofreading, I will identify any factual inconsistencies as well as areas of wordy or difficult writing. I will suggest ideas to improve clarity and consistency; any necessary research and rewriting is up to you.
- Heavy copy edit – I will edit your piece for tone, clarity, concision and overall voice. This includes correcting any grammar, spelling and punctuation issues; identifying and correcting any factual discrepancies; and rewriting any wordy or difficult patches for clarity and consistency. I will also point out any major overall issues with the piece and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Developmental edit – I will work with you to find your piece’s direction, structure and voice. I will review the entire piece; point out issues with logic, direction, voice, and tone; and suggest structural revision of the piece itself. Once you have reviewed my suggestions and completed any necessary rewrites, I will perform a heavy copy edit as described above.
If you’re not sure what category your writing or editing needs fall into, I can help! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started – consultations are always complimentary.