KMS Proofreading’s rates follow current industry standards and begin at $30/hour. Formal estimates take into consideration the condition of the writing (determined by KMS Proofreading), deadlines, and other factors unique to each project. Initial consultations are always complimentary.
Please include the following information for your project to receive the most accurate estimate:
- A short but thorough description of your project with an accurate page or word count. (Note: The standard word count for a manuscript page is 250 words.)
- A sample of the copy to be proofread. Seeing a sample of the project helps me to determine the level of proofreading needed in order to produce a high-quality piece in a reasonable time frame. A guideline for how much copy to send would be:
- 1-2 lines for a flyer
- 1-3 paragraphs for a brochure, catalog, short article, or essay
- 1-3 pages for a shorter manuscript (100 pages or fewer)
- 4-6 pages or 1 chapter for a longer manuscript (101+ pages)
- The deadline for the project. When determining the project proofreading deadline, be sure to account for the time needed to read through and make the suggested corrections before your own deadline or submission due date. I’ll always tell you right away if I won’t be able to meet your deadline.
- Your total budget for the project. Knowing this up front, along with your deadline, enables me to determine the level of proofreading I’ll be able to provide for your project.