Light Copy Edit
- Ensure consistency of spelling, capitalization, punctuation, hyphenation, abbreviations, list formatting, and other mechanics.
- Check for accuracy all contents pages against chapters; check numbering of footnotes, endnotes, tables, and figures; check alphabetization of bibliography or reference list.
- Correct all indisputable errors in grammar, syntax, and usage
- Identify paragraphs which are wordy or confusing for author to revise
- Minor instances of wordiness, imprecise wording, or jargon will not be noted
- Identify terms which are likely to be new to readers and ask for clarification from author
- Query factual inconsistencies and statements that seem incorrect
- Indicate any text, tables, or illustrations which are likely to require permission to reprint
Medium Copy Edit
Includes all functions of light copy edit, plus:
- Correct errors in and point out any inappropriate or confusing instances of grammar, syntax, and usage.
- Supply suggested revisions for wordy or confusing passages.
- Supply or ask the author for definitions of terms likely to be new to readers.
- Query facts that seem incorrect; use print or digital references to verify content.
- Query inconsistent organization and gaps in logic.
Heavy Copy Edit
Includes all functions of light and medium copy edit, plus:
- Correct all errors in and inconsistent or confusing instances of grammar, syntax, and usage.
- Revision of wordy or confusing passages.
- Verify and revise any incorrect facts.
- Query or fix inconsistent organization and gaps in logic.
- Check for and correct any spelling, punctuation, and basic grammar errors, usually after the document has been typeset or formatted as a PDF.
- Articles and essays (for print and digital publishing)
- Web site and blog content
- Press releases
- Special assignments
If you’re not sure which category your editing needs fall into, I can help! Contact me at email@example.com to get started – consultations are always complimentary.